Employment and education programs for at-risk adults, and those involved in the justice system
A 2008 Canadian study found that 79% of inmates had no high school diploma, with 82% testing lower than Grade 10 and 65% testing below Grade 8. Another study showed that the unemployment rate for the recently released was 73%, while the national unemployment rate at the time was around 7%.
The Calgary John Howard Society (CJHS) provides a variety of employment and education programs for adults who are involved, or at risk of becoming involved, with the justice system. Our staff provide support services based on clients’ individual needs so they can positively reintegrate into society.
Meaningful employment and education are two of the most successful ways for an individual to move out of poverty and avoid becoming involved or re-involved in criminal activity. With education, job prospects and skills for living in mainstream society, it is much less likely an individual will reoffend. This ultimately creates safer communities by giving adults the tools to be responsible, contributing members.
How to apply
Call CJHS at 403-266-4566.
Learning Enhanced Employment Program (LEEP)
- Three-week group program to learn job skills (resume writing, interviewing, money management, etc.), training (i.e. for oil and gas, construction and hospitality industries), and self-development skills
View upcoming workshops (Note: All LEEP workshops are part of the three-week program and are not offered individually)
Pathway to Employment
- Ongoing one-on-one support for adults who are unable to find employment independently, to address barriers and build employment-related skills
- We also provide support to employers with an aim to find job placements for clients
Literacy and Learning
- One-on-one support to: improve reading, writing and math skills up to a Grade 9 level; and to return to school for upgrading, a high school diploma or to enroll in post-secondary programs
- Learn basic computer skills such as email, internet functions, Microsoft programs, keyboarding and how to search and apply for jobs online
- Creative writing and reading workshops on various topics (e.g. screenplays)
- Referrals to further education opportunities as needed
- Offered at our main office, Calgary Remand Centre, Calgary Correctional Centre, and in the community