Our response to COVID-19
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Calgary John Howard Society (CJHS) is committed to the health and safety of our clients, volunteers and staff, while continuing to prevent crime and make Calgary communities safer. We are monitoring the situation and continuing to respond in compliance with advice from Alberta Health Services and City officials.
Impact on CJHS clients and residents
Most of the youth and adults we work with have experienced childhood trauma which has led to negative health outcomes in their lives like mental and physical health challenges and addiction. Combined with poverty and/or homelessness, with limited access to medical care and proper nutrition and sleeping habits, the risk for them is much greater if they contract COVID-19.
In order to minimize the risk to clients, volunteers and staff, while also continuing our crime prevention work, CJHS has enacted a COVID-19 Emergency Response Team. With COVID-19 protocols being eased, the following are CJHS’ updated guidelines:
- Our office will be open to clients Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Walk-in’s are welcome, but clients are encouraged to call 403-266-4566 to book an appointment.
- Masking is optional throughout the building, and we provide disposable masks for individuals that require them.
- There is hand sanitizer in the foyer when you enter the building for clients and staff.
- When you come in, a staff person will no longer take your temperature to check for fever. A reminder that you are not to enter the building if you are feeling ill, and there are still mandatory isolation requirements for those with any symptoms of COVID-19 as per AHS.
- If you would like to smudge, please feel free to bring your own supplies or ask if we have any at the reception desk for you to have.
- Clients can still receive support via email at [email protected] or by phone at 403-266-4566 during normal office hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.).
- Caseworkers will continue to provide support to clients via phone, email, in person, and/or other channels as discussed with clients.
- Clients who have their mail delivered to the CJHS office may call 403-266-4566 to schedule a time during office hours to pick up mail.
- Group in-person programming has resumed; please contact the main office 403-266-4566 for inquiries and how to get involved.
- There is sanitation and hygiene protocols at all locations.
- Educating staff and clients on Alberta Health Services recommendations regarding COVID-19.
What you can do
CJHS is extremely grateful for our staff and volunteers who continue to help make our communities safer. If you can, please consider making a donation so that we can continue to provide essential services to our clients.
Your donation will support:
- Hygiene items and cleaning supplies
- Ensuring adequate staffing for our residences to assist with maintaining the health and safety of our residents , which includes our two youth residences and our two adult residences
CJHS recognizes that this is a time of uncertainty and we are not the only ones facing economic challenges at this difficult time. We are so appreciative for your support in whatever way you can manage while we face these challenges. Together, we will get through this!